Health Care and the Environment
We've been hearing a lot about health care reform this year. The arguments typically are about money, whether we can afford it or not, and whether we like the idea of socialized medicine or not.
Although many people favor single-payer universal health care this doesn't seem likely to be adopted soon. I would like to imagine what it could do for our country. I believe it would be good for the health of our people. But I think universal health care would also be good for our environment.
Universal health care implies that everyone contributes to the total cost of health care.
When everyone knows that society is paying for the health of your neighbors then everyone has a financial stake in helping their neighbors stay healthy. Keeping your neighbor healthy reduces the cost of health care.
People will realize that pollution is unhealthy, and is therefore expensive. Toxic mercury and other contaminants from coal burning will be seen as contributors to higher cost health care. Society will demand a cleaner environment.
Clean air and clean water will become important to everyone. A clean environment is healthy, and saves money on health care.
Although many people favor single-payer universal health care this doesn't seem likely to be adopted soon. I would like to imagine what it could do for our country. I believe it would be good for the health of our people. But I think universal health care would also be good for our environment.
Universal health care implies that everyone contributes to the total cost of health care.
When everyone knows that society is paying for the health of your neighbors then everyone has a financial stake in helping their neighbors stay healthy. Keeping your neighbor healthy reduces the cost of health care.
People will realize that pollution is unhealthy, and is therefore expensive. Toxic mercury and other contaminants from coal burning will be seen as contributors to higher cost health care. Society will demand a cleaner environment.
Clean air and clean water will become important to everyone. A clean environment is healthy, and saves money on health care.
Labels: Environment, Health Care

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home